Saturday 27 June 2009

This Week In History.

This week saw the death of the King of Pop, a talented performer, an extraordinary singer, a walking legend. His death was a hard blow to the gut especially to many who least expected this quiet yet strong-willed man who survived the many criticisms of his eccentricity to lose to an unexpected cardiac arrest. Comments had been made of his frail health while practicing for his comeback tour in London. It was expected to be the comeback of the millennium surpassing even dear ol' Britney and the anticipated and under-planning tour by T.Turner.

In the words of the DJ on hitz.fm, "If wasn't because of MJ, I'd never have been into music." My mum introduced his song to us through Light & Easy and I remembered wanting to be like him and singing like the Jackson 5. I was never a huge fan of MJ although some of his songs had special memories for me - heal the world, a singing favourite among my gang of primary school friends; billie jean, a cheerleading performance in high school; black and white, trying to 'ow' MJ style with my sister. The amazement when I first saw him moonwalking and the way he performed with every inch of his body soon faded away, taken over by the 90's music of Britney, C.Aguilera, and boy bands.

When MJ made headlines with paedophilic charges, I was among one of the few who remained neutral and agreed that if he was guilty, he should be charged but if he was innocent, they should leave him be. That circus of a trial made me disgusted with the way the media fed off his eccentricities and exploited his every move, every look, and every word. I turned a deaf ear since to any MJ-related trials. Until this day, I can honestly tell you, I have never Google-d or find out the decision of any of MJ's trials. I did hear about them forcing MJ to sell off Neverland. Like the trials, I didn't want to dig deeper. It made me disgusted that we would readily dissect every inch of a man who was placed in the limelight and missed his childhood as we would Ted Bundy.

Words cannot begin to describe the feelings of unsuspecting people like yours truly who least expected this to happen on 26 June 2009. My first thoughts upon hearing this piece of news at 6.45a.m. on hitz.fm was on a dear friend, who is well known and made it clear to everyone that Michael Jackson was, is and will forever be her idol, love, and world. If my feelings were indescribable, heaven knew how she felt at such a tremendous loss. Nevertheless, she has penned down most of her thoughts and feelings into this note in facebook beautifully.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=97784322388&ref=mf

This week wasn't very kind to yours truly either. Getting down with fever and viral flu-like symptoms wasn't especially comfortable with the swine flu short of being declared an epidemic. Even now, with the meds finished, it feels as if something still isn't right. Internally. Mentally, it has been a long time coming. *shruggs* In short, this week was a bad week for school to reopen as nothing went in my head. Felt like a photocopier. Brains not needed. 'Please do not bring your brains to school' Week. Tadaa!

Had a heart to heart talk with Jill this week too. It felt.. I'm not sure how that felt. It feels the same but I'm glad I had the chance to talk to her. I wished Val could be here too and that things were different with Banu. Things are changing and I'm changing. Maybe some things were just not meant to stay together. Even Ica has some issues. Ma, Pa, and Mag too. Everybody has issues! Ha-ha. Observation of the year. I really don't want to take anymore shit from people. I'm done being a wash rag for cleaning up people's emotional outpourings and being nice while saying things that only comfort but does not present reality precisely. Because of that, some have dubbed me cold, changed, or just ran away crying or ignoring me.

Here's a thought - I DON'T FUCKING CARE. SOD OFF! My life would be so much better and less complicated without all the dramas. Period.

Definitely not a positive or happy week but I did have moments to enjoy.

JoyceC says (9:37 PM):
no lar, I'm just waiting for someone I trust to bring m
JoyceC says (9:37 PM):
*me
JoyceC says (9:37 PM):
one of them being Burn
JoyceC says (9:37 PM):
and You


I love you Joycey!

Jill: I tell you, her people *frantic hand gestures*..
*pauses for 5 seconds*
Jill: .. I mean kids her age..
Yours truly: *LMAO*

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maryann...It's definitely a big loss to the music industry without MJ; he's truly a great performer of all time...

    Second part of your post sounds depressing... From what I can interpret from your writing, you seems to have problems with your friends. Don't let that bug you...It happens to me all the time...I'm sort of immune to all that now...Just live your live happily and don't allow anyone to tarnish that joy away from you...Study hard(i know it's difficult, but studies are important right??) and of course play hard( I know for this you have no problem...hehe...).

    ReplyDelete