Friday 15 January 2010

Bull Feces.

Man argued in the States to get God out of the school. No Bibles in school, no crucifix or rosaries in lockers and no daily prayers before kids recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Fair enough for me.

Man argued in Malaysia for exclusivity to use the name of God. Some Muslims argues that the name of God in Islam, A word, is solely for Muslims to use and non-Muslims are not allowed to use it verbally or in writing.

This argument, if you are living in Malaysia you can skip this paragraph, came about when Archbishop Murphy Pakiam was served a ban by the Home Ministry for usage of the A word in the Herald’s publication. The Herald is a weekly Catholic paper publication distributed for sale within Catholic churches that contain articles in the English, Bahasa, Chinese, and Tamil languages. Now, arguments have escalated from the mere ban of a word in a paper, to a ban on ALL non-Muslims using words which are associated with Islam.

Quoted from an article, 25 words and 10 expressions are protected under the ban. In another state, as many as 33 words and 15 expressions are under the ban.

Being a mere 19 years of age, my opinion doesn’t matter. I’m just a child exposed to matters concerning adults and the welfare of the nation. In short, I’m a worm in a world of dragons. I’ve read the blogs of famous icons in this country regarding this issue. I’ve seen interviews conducted and articles written of this issue. Matters of religion are sensitive and mere arguments can and has resulted in the damaging of places of worship. In the end, my opinion matters not to officials and big-shots that have the last say in everything.

I am disgusted, disappointed, and sick of the circus coming out of this issue. Why should I bother? I should just live my life as a law-abiding citizen and go through the motions of everyday life. I cannot do that. I cannot grow up in a country that has the leaders thinking it is their right to argue for God. I cannot risk my children coming home one day from school with a fine for using the A word in school to satisfy their curiosity. I cannot live in a country where when religious issues are brought to light, the torching of places of worship happens.

I am not disillusioned. There is no perfect place in this world but there comes a point where it is really too much. I love my God. Why can’t everybody accept the fact that at the end of the day, when you die, we return to our Maker. Not Makers but ONE maker. I do not think there is a Christian Maker, Muslim Maker, Indian Maker or Chinese Maker. We may worship differently but every single human on Earth will one day leave this place. Do you think you get to control where you end up in when you’re dead? Do you suppose arguing about ‘the exclusivity of my religion’ is going to place you in a higher level of heaven? No, you moron. It shouldn’t take a person back from the dead to tell you that either.

Many parents are doing their children injustice by arguing that they’ll be confused when non-Muslims are allowed to use the A word. Do you think children are that stupid? Are you dictating what your children should and shouldn’t think for themselves? I am insulted if my parents so as much give hints to such thoughts. I may or may not die with the religion I was born into. The clarity of my soul and faith is something between my God and me. I do not need my mama breathing down my neck to dictate my faith. My soul is mine.

Please tell me then, what should a Moral teacher say when we learn about the different beliefs in our country?

Teacher: Kita ada Buddha, Tuhan Ganesha, Jesus Christ, dan Tuhan.
Student: Tuhan?
Teacher: Ya, Tuhan orang Islam juga dikenali sebagai Tuhan.
Teacher: We have Buddha, Lord Ganesha, Jesus Christ, and God.
Student: God?
Teacher: Yes, the Muslim God is also known as God.

Does anyone besides me see how confusing this is? Does anyone realize how many textbooks in Malaysia will have to be reprinted? How many will have to be given back to publishers or burnt? Will we have textbooks for Muslim students and non-Muslim students then? Or will non-Muslim students not learn about the religion of Islam? Will we replace the A word with He-whose-name-we-cannot-say in conversations? UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!

I can see Voldemort turning in his fictional grave. Another name invokes more fear than his.

No comments:

Post a Comment